Thursday, February 17, 2011

"That's the Glory of Love"

  I once heard Bette Midler sing this song.  If I remember right, it was the movie "Beaches".  


"You've got to give a little, take a little, and let your poor heart break a little
That's the story of, that's the glory of love
You've got to laugh a little, cry a little, until the clouds roll by a little
That's the story of, that's the glory of love
As long as there's the two of us, we've got the world and all its charms
And when the world is through with us, we've got each other's arms
You've got to win a little, lose a little, yes, have the blues a little
That's the story of, that's the glory of love
That's the story of, that's the glory of love" 

  It came to me as I was walking on the treadmill this morning.  This song makes me think of how we live...right now....as a family.  
  Last night, I thought I would treat the boys.  I suggested we have a "Taco night".  Our son looks at me and says, "Mom, can we please have ground beef instead of that ground turkey you always buy?"  Here it was mid-February and I realized I hadn't made anything with beef or pork since the first of the year, since I began my year's resolution to walk a thousand miles for charity and live healthier.  Basically, I had sworn off of eating anything with four legs.  Because I do most of the cooking, my family ate what I served them.  We'd done poultry, fish, veggies only, healthy pastas, etc...but no beef or pork.  
  I thought about it.  They had been really good about supporting me in my efforts.  They had eaten the turkey tacos, the turkey chili, and even the turkey Manwich (secretly, I was planning the next turkey surprise...turkey stuffed peppers).  I decided to reward them.  Besides, nothing said I had to eat the ground beef.  I purchased 93/7 ground beef (93% fat free), the best I could find.  I cooked it with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and mixed in some taco powder.   I'll admit, it kind of grossed me out.  I did my best not to touch the meat or drippy blood on the packaging.  
  But, last night, they ate their beloved beef tacos.  They did; however, also have Ortega whole grain corn taco shells, low fat cheddar cheese, tomato, lettuce, black olives, sour cream, and taco sauce).  I ate soft whole wheat tortillas with peppers and onions (blended with fajita mix), lettuce, tomatoes, low fat cheddar cheese, and mango peach salsa).  We all had Bush's black beans which are healthier than refried beans. 
   Everyone was happy.  We even cleaned the mess together.  As they left for their scout meeting, I somehow felt like "Mother of the Year".  I guess its true...the song...you've got to give a little...you've got to win a little, lose a little...its sometimes a trade off...
that's the glory of love.   
      

No comments:

Post a Comment